Seasons & Attire — or what the fashion conscious WOOFER wears in Neverland
Most of the year temperatures here are not very cool. Occasional nights can drop to 13 celsius or even a bit lower. Unless you are sleeping nude outside you should be fine with a sleeping bag in one of our rooms. Rainy season is usually a few weeks end of October (invernilla, the small winter, the planting rains), real rains from January thru May, sometimes later or sooner. Rainy days are very sunny and warm in the am, collecting moisture for afternoon rains. Some rain can be pretty strong. Then we have summer, dry and often quite windy. Very little rain, so we run heavy irrigation (mostly ditch or flood irrigation, few sprinklers).
- Extra pair of shoes for hiking, so other pair can dry
- Rubber boots, available nearby for about 6. Usd- we have several pair so if your size is available you luck out.
- Tevas or Chacos or some sandal that will stay on your foot in strong current. We live in harmony with a year round creek that runs down the center of the land. Sometimes it is not so sedate.
- Flops are nice for around the houses. But early evening and morn you need to wear socks and leg covering (leg warmers work great). The bugs here seem especially fond of ankle meat.
- Rain jacket, lightweight, preferably rip stop.
- Warm socks, 3-4 pair at least.
- Rain hat, sunglasses
- You will need a windbreaker and hat that stays on and gives shade!
All Year Round
- YOU WILL NEED A FLASHLIGHT. We cannot recycle or dispose of batteries! Please bring rechargeable batteries or solar lights!!
- DICTIONARY! Don´t travel 1000´s of miles and not be able to communicate, bring a dictionary or pocket translator.
- Sun hat and sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Moisturizer for skin and lips.
- Some pants, skirts if ya like, swim wear, t shirts, all the regular stuff. A big sweat shirt or fleece jacket is a good idea for cool nights. We rarely wear shorts! Yucky clothes, or good ones, that you get at the thrift store to work in!! Any extra clothes are gratefully accepted donations for ME, Andres, Silvia, kids and so on WHEN YOU ARE LEAVING. You might want something nice for nights when we go to a local fiesta.
We have wish lists, things that we always need from the states or Europe that really help the farm. Things like
- CONDOMS! I give them away. Grab an extra 100 (or 2) from planned parenthood, they are free. Birth, and disease, control are difficult in 3rd world countries.
- Nutritional yeast,
- Dark chocolate,
- Bbiodegradable soaps (like Dr Bronners),
- Natural shampoos or toothpaste (Toms of Maine, WITH FLOURIDE).
- Flops, size womens 7 or 8, mens size 9 or 10
- Work shoes (like yer old ones that you never wear) make nice gifts
- JEANS! Tina is size 4, killo is size small, pants 30 w, 30 l. T shirts, blouses… Kids clothing and shoes, all sizes, are always welcome
- Kids toys are especially nice, the old tonka truck your nephew no longer wants…